Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The quilt that trialled the thread

I picked a top that's been lurking around for a few months to try the new thread on - my teal and red drunkard's path blocks that I made back in November last year. I really didn't like them but made the top up then put it at the bottom of the pile for quilting; but of course perfect to practice on when you're not sure how the new thread is going to work out.



Like all of them, it looks much better when quilted. And is proving perfectly functional because number one son is lying under it at the moment continuing the Lord-of-the-Rings-moviethon their father foolishly let them start. The problem for me with this quilt is that it is just too scrappy and directionless. I should have done all the circles red or blue and not mixed them up; or mixed them up but done a proper layout not random. Both is just too weird.



I quilted it with big fat floppy feathers, which I thought would be a good thread test. And it was all fine, fingers crossed it works on the next quilt too.... I called it "Aloha from Hawaii" because my husband went to Beijing for a few days last week for work and brought me back this.



Don't get me wrong, it was very delicious and I am greatly appreciative of a present of lovely dark chocolate-covered macadamias ... it's just not entirely what I was expecting.

1 comment:

  1. What were you expecting? The drunkards quilt looks just that. The Canberra show quilts were stunning, I thought, but so perfect they'd lost their essential warm snuggle - inviting quilt feeling.

    ReplyDelete