Saturday, July 18, 2015

Some actual sewing

Our child-free week is sadly coming to a close - after the Blue Mountains we came back and worked for a few days. My husband managed to go to a cocktail event ("it wasn't a party! There was powerpoint!") but I spent most of my non-working hours sitting quietly, and doing some sewing. Which is a treat, don't get me wrong. Although we went out for lunch today as a last hurrah.



My sewing is the start of another medallion quilt as I've been in the mood for something bright and unstructured. So this is the central dresden plate - or possibly wheel thing - bordered in ricrac. This is something I saw in the Little Quilts book that my Dad gave me for Christmas - it is a great book with lots of lovely ideas, even though I don't make small quilts as such. But I've been meaning to try this one since I first read the book.



You make a big circle from dresden wedges then finish it with ricrac by sewing down the middle of the ricrac along the edge of the fabric on the right side, then just turn it over and topstitch down. It is quite simple and makes a very pretty finish. I'm not sure what the next border will be but that's the fun of medallion quilts.

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine living somewhere with a name like Coolangatta.

    Your boys are so lovely with beautiful hair but I hadn't realised that there was such a gap between them. No 1 is really tall and no 2 still looks like a wee boy. For now.

    ReplyDelete