Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Tropics again


No photos this week – I am in the Republic of Kiribati and internet connection is available … but not exactly fast. I think photos might be pushing my luck! I will put some up when I get back though, because Kiribati is amazing … the capital is an atoll - a series of little islands linked by causeways around an enormous lagoon. You are quite clearly standing on a little dot in an enormous ocean, covered by the biggest sky I have ever seen. It’s just north of the equator, so 31 degrees all year round.

The capital, South Tarawa is dusty and crowded and very dirty – there is no tourism, so the accommodation and food are very basic. By any measure it is one of the world’s poorest and least developed countries, but I always have a sense that these are people who know who they are. I wouldn’t want to swap my pampered life (actually it’s my life expectancy I’m quite fond of) … but I do like being here. 

2 comments:

  1. it sounds like you are having a good trip. come home safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.

    I went to Aberdeen last week. Not sure it's quite as exotic.

    ReplyDelete