Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Whatcha Reading?

I'm linking up with Judy again for Whatcha Reading Tuesday (Wednesday). This is technically not what I'm reading because I finished it this morning, but I don't have a lot to say about the book I just started :) ... anyway, I just read The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling (of Harry Potter fame) and I thought it was great. In fact, I couldn't put it down, it was such a good read. She surely can tell a story, and make things appear so real.


This book got mixed reviews, and one of the criticisms was that it was very grim. Almost all the people in it are pretty nasty, and even the better ones are still flawed. People do horrible things and there's lots of blocked emotions, failed communications, skewed values and general ickiness. But I didn't mind that - it still seemed believable and I wanted to find out what happened next. Sometimes when you don't like the characters you don't care what happens to them, but that wasn't the case here.



I finished that awful book from last week. It didn't get any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment