Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The mystery deepens

I'm still going with Bonnie's mystery over at quiltville.com. I have never done one before and the enthusiasm remains strong! This is also the first time in my life I have followed any kind of pattern. My general method is to look at the picture, read the instructions and decide they're too complicated, then knock something up generally the same but much simpler!


Until this step I had never sewn on foundation papers, despite having made dozens of string and scrap quilts. It certainly is a much better finish, and you can use quite small strings. And because it's a mystery I can't look at the finished product and think about how I can make it easier, and skip some of those pesky middle bits .... very good for the soul I think, a bit of discipline.


Bonnie encouraged us not to use just cream or white tone-on-tones but to mix it up a bit. I think I've done that, in fact I don't think I own nearly enough neutrals for this. I've only made a dozen blocks (of the 60) and my scrap pile is dwindling! I might have to buy something, bummer :)




1 comment:

  1. discipline? what's that? I love piecing onto a paper foundation too. your blocks is fun!

    ReplyDelete